Friday, July 17, 2009

Product Review

I've been in the market for crackers that I can keep on hand at work for snacking. For awhile I was getting the reduced fat wheat thins, and while they are pretty good, they aren't all that nutritious. About all they have going for them is that they are low in fat. So I decided to try out a couple of different brands to try and find a cracker that was still low in fat, but higher in fiber and lower in salt. And of course it still had to taste good. Here's what I found...

The three contenders -

All Bran Multi Grain Crackers

Wheat Thins Reduced Fat Crackers

Special K Multi-Grain Baked Crackers

(* indicates the winner in the category)

Calories
All Bran: 130
Wheat Thins: 130
*Special K: 120

Fat
All Bran: 6g
Wheat Thins: 3.5g
*Special K: 3g

Sodium
All Bran: 270mg
*Wheat Thins: 260mg
*Special K: 260mg

Fiber
*All Bran: 5g
Wheat Thins: 1g
Special K: 2g

Sugar
*All Bran: 4g
*Wheat Thins: 4g
Special K: 6g

Taste
*All Bran: Delish
Wheat Thins: Pretty good
Special K: Barf x 10

Overall

All Bran: Won 3 categories, but in my opinion taste counts extra, so this is my pick for the overall winner. Sure, they're a bit higher in fat, but they're also significantly higher in fiber, which is pretty good in my book. And they actually taste good! (Most likely because of the fat.)

Wheat Thins: Won 2 categories; while they're not that impressive nutritionally, they are still pretty delicious crackers.

Special K: Won 3 categories, and probably wins the overall nutrition contest (besides being low in fiber), but they taste awful. Seriously terrible. There is a bit of an onion-y flavor that I absolutely detest. It probably didn't help that I tried this box after the delicious higher fat All Bran crackers, but still, they are nasty. Please, I beg of you, do not waste your money or torture your taste buds with these crackers.

Anyone have any suggestions for me on a healthy cracker that still tastes good?

6 comments:

Bekah Parker said...

Ritz...but they are not healthy but delicious. Got to choose your battles I guess. But then again...they do have the whole wheat Ritz!

Ya know how about we just cut the crap...buy a lifetime supply of Oreos and BAM, problem solved!

Maren said...

I wish I had suggestions, but I am glad to know about the All Bran crackers. I've been looking for some healthy snacks myself! Of course Trader Joe's and Fresh and Easy have good multi grain crackers, but you don't have either of those stores, so sorry 'bout it.

Candice said...

Trader joes fer sher. Their multigrain crackers and imitation wheat thins are so good. I'll hafta see about their nutrition info... Looking forward to giving all-bran a try

Candice said...

Trader joes fer sher. Their multigrain crackers and imitation wheat thins are so good. I'll hafta see about their nutrition info... Looking forward to giving all-bran a try

Dana Bradshaw said...

I love the All Bran crackers. They are delicious and over all pretty healthy

allie said...

I like Kashi personally. Don't know how it relates price wise. They have different flavors and I haven't tried all of them. The plain (7 grain i think it is) ones are my favorite. You can do your own thing with them; eat with PB, lunch meat, cheese, etc.