Friday, December 5, 2008

Almost Onion-free Thanksgiving


(Edible turkey from last Thanksgiving, which was also Adam's first birthday.)

We all had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, although most of us feasted at seperate tables across the country.

Mom, Kelli and Emma feasted at Kelli's place in Salt Lake. They potentially had the best meal, considering it was all made by Kelli herself. See here for a good laugh and a more detailed account of the festivities.

Candice went to St. George to be with Chris' family. The only thing I made was the cranberry sauce. The fool-proof recipe: Stir together and bring to a boil 1 C. orange juice and 1 C. sugar. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add 1 bag fresh cranberries. Simmer ten minutes, til cranberries start to pop. Remove from heat and pour into serving dish. Sauce will thicken as it cools. YUM. Sidenote: I have only ever been in charge of the turkey once. I used this Barefoot Contessa recipe- and it was absolutely and utterly divine. The most flavorful turkey I've ever had. I am a little scared to brine a turkey after Kelli's experience, but I want to just to compare.

Maren had a {relatively} quiet Thanksgiving at home with their little family. She made Pinoeer Woman's mashed potatoes- and we all agree they're our new favorite.

Amanda and Mase had a Floridian pot-luck Thanksgiving (so fun) with fellow students and friends. Amanda made her cornbread stuffing (I am requesting she make us some over Christmas), 10 lbs mashed potatoes, and a berry pie. I hope she doesn't mind me sharing her famous stuffing recipe...

2 lbs. Owen's spicy sausage
3-4 large onions (?!?!) chopped :)
2 red bell peppers, chopped
2 recipes cornbread (already prepared)
2 cans chicken broth

Saute sausage, onion and bell pepper. In large bowl combine sausage mixture, cornbread, and broth. Mix well. Bake in greased 9 by 13 dish at 350 for about 1 hour. (Serves 20)

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm up for having another Thanskgiving dinner next week. Any takers?
Posted by Picasa

No comments: