Monday, March 23, 2009

Cantaloupe Granita

Cantaloupe is now in season! I was browsing through some old Martha magazines when I came across a recipe for cantaloupe granita and I knew just what I was going to do with the cantaloupe in my fridge. It's light, refreshing, and my kids loved it!

Cantaloupe Granita

1 cantaloupe (about 3 pounds)
1/4 cup sugar
2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 T. water

Using a sharp knife, cut melon in half lengthwise. Remove seeds with a spoon and discard. Slice off and discard skin and pale-green flesh. Cut melon into large chunks.
Puree in blender or food processor. Transfer to bowl and set aside. Combine sugar, lemon juice, and water in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture has thickened slightly. Remove from heat; let cool completely. Stir sugar syrup into melon puree; place in freezer uncovered until mixture is chunky, about 1 1/2 hours. Whisk every 20 minutes to keep it from becoming too solid.

1 comment:

Candice said...

OH my- that looks delicioso! Thanks a lot... my 100-recipe-long to-try list is now at 101. :)