Sunday, January 11, 2009

(My favorite) Tin Foil Dinner



Let's just acknowledge the elephant in the picture before anything else... I know sitting right on top of that otherwise tempting dinner is a big fat horrible slice of onion. But I've had a bunch sitting on my counter (I can't even remember why I bought them) and decided to put a slice on top of each foil dinner, for flavor and moisture. Unneccesary. Naturally, I forcefully disposed of it before consuming the meal, and I didn't notice that it even added anything. So, you make the call as to whether you will allow the onion into the packet or not, but as for me and my family, from here on out, we say NO to onions. That being said- these are very tasty... and the kids scarfed them.

Tin Foil Dinners
serves 4

lots of tin foil (you always need more than you think)
1 lb. ground beef
3 russet potatoes
4 large carrots
1 pkg. frozen corn
1 small can cream of mushroom soup

Tear a double layer of tin foil for each packet. Peel and chop the potatoes and carrots into approx. uniform size. Boil both in water for 10 minutes or so, til starting to get tender. Divide beef evenly among packets, shape into a patty, and place down first on the foil. Salt and pepper. Top with potatoes and carrots, then a dollop of soup, and finish with a sprinkling of corn (I love the corn in this... so mine has lots). Lightly salt and pepper again. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes-1 hour, or til meat is cooked through. Don't forget the s'mores for dessert!

*My childhood friend Amanda Martin shared this fun idea with me years ago: Mini S'mores. With a bowl of Golden Grahams cereal, a bowl of mini marshmallows, a bowl of chocolate chips, a few toothpicks and a votive candle, you can make mini s'mores around a mini campfire. Toast the marshmallow over the flame of the votive, and with a chocolate chip, sandwich between two golden grahams and pop in your mouth. Cute, no?
Posted by Picasa

No comments: