Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Pina Colada Cake



Friend Skyler turned six this last week, so for Sunday dinner I tested out my new giant cupcake pan from Mom (thanks Muth!). I've always thought this pina colada cake was so pretty with the toasted coconut on top- and it made a pretty giant cupcake as well. Thanks to Heathie for imparting her culinary wisdom and sharing this scrumptious cake with us!

Pina Colada Cake

1 box yellow cake mix (eggs and oil as needed per box directions)
1 can crushed pineapple
1 pkg. instant coconut pudding
1 1/2 C. milk
1 (8oz.) tub Cool Whip
Toasted coconut flakes

Mix cake batter according to box directions. (Can substitute pineapple juice for water in mix if you wanna.) Bake as directed. Let stand 5 minutes, then invert cake onto cooling rack. Poke holes on top of the cake with a large fork. Top cake with crushed pineapple. Mix together pudding and milk. Let pudding stand for 3 minutes, then fold in Cool Whip. Frost cupcakes with this mixture, then top with toasted coconut. (Toast sweetened coconut on cookie sheet in a 350 oven for 7-10 minutes, stirring once, 'til barely starting to brown.)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

AM! said...

Love the giant cupcake pan!
Where do you get that? or is it a staple at any cooking store (haven't frequented those yet, but I hope to!)

Candice said...

My mom got it online somewhere... it is Wilton brand. I'm sure it was less expensive than the Williams-Sonoma pan, but I know they have one there, too. I'll ask my mom exactly where she got it and get back to ya.