I wasn't sure how this dish would turn out because it calls for a lot of garlic and I'm not a huge garlic fan, but this was so good! It's light and healthy and has really good flavor. We had this with parmesan breadsticks that are super easy and delicious!
Spaghetti with Garlic, Olive Oil, and Broccoli
6 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
12 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and ground black pepper
1 pound spaghetti
3 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 cups fresh broccoli florets
grated parmesan cheese (for serving)
1. Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot.
2. Cook 3 tablespoons of oil, 3 tablespoons of garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in 10-inch nonstick skillet over low heat, stirring often, until garlic is sticky, foamy, and straw-colored, about 10 minutes. Transfer to small bowl.
3. To skillet, add 1/2 cup water and broccoli. Cover and cook over medium-high heat until broccoli is tender but still crisp at center, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain.
4. Add spaghetti and 1 tablespoon salt to boiling water and cook, stirring often, until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain spaghetti and return to pot.
5. Stir parsley, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, 3 tablespoons oil, sauteed garlic, broccoli, and 2 tablespoons reserved pasta cooking water into spaghetti. Season with salt and pepper. Add reserved pasta cooking water as needed to loosen sauce. Serve, passing the Parmesan separately.
Parmesan Bread Sticks
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out 1 pound pizza dough ( I used Fresh and Easy's whole wheat pizza dough) into 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Cut dough into 1-inch wide strips and lay on well-oiled baking sheet. Brush with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly on wire rack and serve warm.