I used some of my homemade granola to make these and they are awesome. There are lots of healthy ingredients, but the taste isn't compromised. Maybe the amount of sugar and butter has something to do with it. :) I got the recipe from Barefoot Contessa and just changed it a bit. (The recipe is supposed to make 18 muffins, but I always get more like 22.)
Banana Crunch Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 bananas)
- 1 cup medium-diced ripe bananas (1 banana)
- 1 cup small-diced walnuts
- 1 cup granola
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Dried banana chips, granola, or shredded coconut, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Line 18 large muffin cups with paper liners. Sift the flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the melted butter and blend. Combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, and mashed bananas, and add them to the flour-and-butter mixture. Scrape the bowl and blend well. Don't overmix.
Fold the diced bananas, walnuts, granola, and coconut into the batter. Spoon the batter into the paper liners, filling each 1 to the top. Top each muffin with dried banana chips, granola, or coconut, if desired. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool slightly, remove from the pan, and serve.