Wednesday, September 24, 2008

About Apples



Last week bookclub was held at my house. We read "Little Heathens; Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression". The author featured some of the recipes made most frequently on their farm, one of which was Apple Candy Pie. I decided to make that one to enjoy after our discussion. It was very good. Simple recipe (I'll post it later), but good. It has been a little while since I cooked with apples, and I wasn't sure which varieties were most suited for baking. So I did some research (googled it) and found some helpful info on which kinds of apples are best suited for eating whole and which ones hold up to heat.

Cortland, Jonathan, Granny Smith, and Golden Delicious are some of the best baking apples. Fuji and Red Delicious turn to mush when baked, so are best eaten out of hand.

Between Safeway and Fresh and Easy, I was only able to find Granny Smith and Gala varieties, so I used a combination of those and it turned out great.

Here's the website to visit for Apples 101.

No comments: