Sunday, September 7, 2008

Shredded Beef Tostadas


OH my dang- these were so good. Fresh and Easy has mini corn tortillas (not to mention the best pizza dough... Chrystal:) which I used for the base. I fried them- and don't feel a bit bad about it, because I honestly can't remember the last time I fried anything. So I went for it. We topped them with shredded slow cooker beef, guacamole, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, shredded carrot and sour cream. The carrot was an experiment- it was colorful and added another veggie and no one seemed to mind it on there.

The shredded beef was sooooo tender and juicy. I have tried roast a dozen different ways- and finally found a method that ensures succulent results.

STEP 1- sear the roast in a couple Tbsps veg oil in a skillet on the stovetop over high heat, one or two minutes each side.
STEP 2- place roast in crockpot with desired seasonings and liquids.
STEP 3- cook all day (10 hours) on low.

The searing step I learned from Paula Deen. When I first heard of it, I thought- that is the REASON you cook in a crockpot- so you don't have to dirty another pan or skillet! But it is worth the step. I just did the roast plus a packet of taco seasoning mix, and covered it all with water. The meat was really yum, but didn't taste a whole lot like taco seasoning. The flavor of the seasoning all got tossed out with the water. When I make these again I'll try at least two packets. I have also tried the non taco-seasoning packet route- the Tyler Florence from scratch shredded taco meat route, and it wasn't anything spectacular, I liked this one better for sure.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: