Monday, September 1, 2008

You've Gotta *Drink* Your Spinach, Baby!



Our dinner of cheesey chicken nachos and corn was looking a little color-less tonight, so I thought we could wash our beige meal down with a Spinach Smoothie. This recipe comes from some dental school friends, the Hansens, and was published in a school cookbook. They titled their recipe, "You Have GOT To Try This Drink". And I would second that emotion. It tastes like it is entirely fruit, you can't taste the spinach at all. I know my kids are always coming up short in their veggie consumption, not to mention Chris and I. I would guess the same goes for most everyone. I am going to try and make this a couple times a week. I made a blender full, then when both kids had drank their glasses dry, Maya asked for seconds. :) If she only knew. Jokes on her!

Popeye Punch

3/4 a blender full of baby spinach
1/2 a blender full of pineapple juice
2 bananas, frozen and cut into chunks
3 or 4 ice cubes

Blend til smooth.

* I used one banana and 1 cup frozen mango chunks (Trader Joes) and it was AWESOME. It is so weird because by the looks of it, you anticipate one of those yucky grass shots from Jamba Juice, but it isn't at all. Try it!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Wilm2RS said...

I CAN'T WAIT to try this. We were trying to come up with some way to eat ALL the Spinach and Banana's that we buy in boatloads from Costco...you've given us a solution! THANKS!!! Also, where is Elliot going so as to give him a farewell dinner?

Chrystal said...

I love your cooking blog. I am always trying to think of something for dinner and I love your ideas. Plus I love that you take pictures of your food, and your menus. I hate making a menu. I have also sent this to my mom and sisters and they love it too. We have been making some of your meals and comapring what our hubbies thought. Sometimes I wonder what brand you buy of things. Like your pizza dough. What pizza dough do you use? Fresh and Easy? Anyway I love it.

Chrystal said...

Oh by the way I showed Ashtyn a picture of your smoothie and asked if she would drink it. She said, "no I would want milk!" My kids are picky. I have tried pureeing veggies and sneaking it in. They will usually eat it that way:)