Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Broccoli Chicken Calzones

I am going through my family blog and transferring recipes from it to here, so they're all in one place. Maren just made these the other night, and she was going to post the recipe, but since I already had it I thought I would beat her to the punch. Sorry bout it, Karen.

This is what you should make for dinner tonight. They are healthy, easy, and delicious. Chris, Parker, Maya and Adam (and I) gobbled them up. Recipe from "The Best 30-Minute Recipe"... which is the best 30-minute cookbook.

Broccoli Chicken Calzones

1 10-oz pkg frozen broccoli, thawed & chopped
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1/4 cup pesto
salt and ground pepper
flour for counter
1 pound pizza dough
2 Tbsp olive oil
kosher salt
marinara sauce

1. Heat oven to 450. Pat broccoli dry and toss with mozzarella, chicken and pesto. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. On floured counter, roll out dough to 12-inch round, about 1/4 inch thick. Mound filling over half of dough, leaving 1-inch border around edge. Brush edges of dough with water. Fold other half of dough over filling and press edges to seal.
3. Grease baking sheet with 1 Tbsp oil. Slide wide spatula under calzone and transfer to baking sheet. Cut slits across top. Brush remaining Tbsp oil over top and sprinkle with a little coarse salt. Bake until golden, 15-20 minutes. Cool briefly, cut into slices, and serve with warmed marinara dipping sauce.

I'm tellin you.

2 comments:

Chrystal said...

Ok so I think the calzones look so good, but I need to know where you get your pizza dough, and pesto?

Maren said...

Trader Joe's and Fresh 'n Easy both have really good, fresh pizza dough in the refrigerated section. That's what we like to use!