Thursday, September 18, 2008

Caprese Sandwiches



This smashed sandwich may not look like much, but it is a new favorite at our house. Chris was skeptical when I told him what was for dinner, but his mind changed after the first bite. Very flavorful, awesome texture, and tasty combination of ingredients. I tried some Heirloom tomatoes from Trader Joes- and I am hooked. We'll be having these again soon.

Caprese Sandwiches

1 loaf ciabatta bread
2 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced thick
a few thick slices of mozzarella (fresh if you can find it)
1/4 C. basil pesto

Slice open the bread, slather on the pesto (both sides), and layer the tomatoes and cheese. Cook in a skillet, as you would a grilled cheese sandwich. I used a couple Tablespoons of olive oil, and pressed the top of the sandwich down with a heavy pot as it cooked. Or if you are Maren, use your panini press. :) Wednesdays are packed for us- with preschool, children's chorus, and mutual- and this was the perfect dinner to put together and have on the table in about 15 minutes.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Maren said...

Yum! I WILL be making those- with my panini press!

Amanda B. said...

So many good recipes. I don't know which one to try first.