Thursday, September 18, 2008

Shortbread Cookies with Lavendar Icing



Wildflower Bread Company has a salad with flecks of lavendar all throughout it (the Wildflower salad). Lavendar has a very distinct taste- it is interesting and highly concentrated. So I saw these cookies on "Stephanie's Kitchen" and had to make them. I had really high expectations, so I admit I was slightly disappointed with the final result. I really liked them, but didn't love them. The icing is the best part. If you didn't know there was lavendar in them, you would take a bite and think, "What IS that?"

Shortbread Cookies with Lavendar Icing

1 C. butter, softened
2/3 C. sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2-1/4 C. flour
1 tsp. baking powder

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine the flour and baking powder, gradually add to the creamed mixture. Roll out and cut with cookie cutters, 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 10-11 minutes.

ICING:

1/3 C. boiling water
1 tsp. dried lavendar
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 C. powdered sugar

Add boiling water to a bowl with lavendar; cover and allow to soak for 15 minutes. Strain liquid, add almond extract and powdered sugar until it thickens slightly into a glaze. Put the warm icing into a ziplock bag, snip the corner and drizzle over cooled cookies. Allow them to set for a few hours.

* You can find lavendar at Sprouts.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

muth said...

Where did you come from? I love that you love cooking so much. I love everything you try out. Your cupcakes were a hit tonight!!!!!!!!
My only regret is not taking a picture before they were gone. :( Tell me you took one so you could put it on this blog. I HOPE so!!! Thank you sooooooo much!!!

Steph said...

I've never made these cookies, you saw them on my blog????