Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Piano Cake





This was Maya's 5th birthday cake. It was a hit- and it is easy as all get out. I made two cakes (one pink and one chocolate per her request) in 2 9x13 pans. Make sure to grease the pans very well. After the cakes baked and cooled, I turned them out onto cookie sheets and trimmed the edges to get them the size I wanted. Then I placed them end to end on a covered board and frosted the whole thing with cream cheese frosting. I made the lines to separate the white keys with dental floss, and the black keys are obviously Kit Kats. This is the third time I've made the piano cake, the other two were for piano recitals. It is always a hit and the kids always try to "play" it before eating it.

My favorite cream cheese frosting comes from the one and only Paula Deen:

Cream Cheese Frosting


2 blocks cream cheese, very soft
1 stick butter, very soft
1 tsp vanilla
4 C. sifted powdered sugar

Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla with electric mixer til smooth. One cup at a time, add the powdered sugar. Beat til smooth.

*I guess I've got Paula on the brain as Kelli and I will be paying her a visit at The Lady and Sons Restaurant this fall. Happy Day!!!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Bekah Parker said...

Wow!! That looks amazing!

Rachel Cunningham said...

How cute is that?! Love that idea. I'm a huge fan of cream cheese frosting and kit kats...so this is a win-win recipe. Thanks!

Lisa Harris said...

ADORABLE!!

Hanna said...

I LOVE this idea!! i remember when you made it at our last piano recital!! it was delicious!